January 22, 2011

The kitten that got away

I love cats. I especially love my Lily cat.
As all of my fellow students know, we've been getting bombarded with furniture emails from third year students who are about to go on their rotations. It seems like every day there are five to ten more emails from students selling furniture. I usually just delete them, unless they mention "free", but Tuesday one stood out. It was entitled "kitten". I knew I should probably just delete it, but the animal lover in me didn't allow that to happen. Reluctantly, I opened up the email, and discovered that a third year was giving away her just found, stray kitten. She couldn't take it with her on her rotations, so before she gave it to a humane society, she was checking in with the student body for interest. Humane societies are great, however, in huge cities like Philly, they euthanize over 12,000 cats/kittens a year. That's 33 a day. I sure didn't want to be the reason this kitten was euthanized.

I contacted the student, and we made arrangements to meet the kitten. She sounded incredibly sweet. She was calico, and very little. I made appointments to get her spayed, vaccinated, and tested for feline leukemia (the waiting lists for these things are ridiculous, so I figured I'd set it up now because I could always cancel) at a local low cost vet clinic.

**Which, side note, are amazing things in large cities. Low cost vet clinics. $25 to spay/neuter, pain meds included. $20 distemper and rabies vaccines. $20 Feline leukemia testing. Yes, please. In Wisconsin this was easily over $200.

Back on track. I was set to see this little girl on Thursday. Later that day, the "seller" texted me and told me that she found a friend to take care of her until she got back from rotations. That way she could keep her. I admit, I'd much rather have someone take care of Lily instead of give her away, but I was still a bit bummed.

To be fair, it was probably not the smartest choice for us because it would cause even more problems with transportation over the holidays, but I was willing to deal with it.

I'm happy that the little girl will get to stay with her owner, and I wish them all the best.

Now I just have to get this idea of a second kitten out of my head. Good thing I have school to distract me.

No comments:

Post a Comment