January 27, 2011

Sentimental Sweets

Anyone that knows me knows that I am crazy for sugar.

Yesterday I came upon a most wonderful website called Candy Crate. Anything that mentions candy, sugar, chocolate, or sweets in general gets my attention, and this store, even more so, because they sell "nostalgic" candy. I'm probably not old enough to have a sense of nostalgia for anything, but when it comes to candy, anything goes.

I figured I'd check it out because I have a few favorites that you can't find anywhere around PA, and I was confident we weren't going to have school today (I was wrong..incidentally, and the two hours it took to clean off our cars this morning was a reminder that I should have done optics last night).

To my surprise they had everything I wanted, and more! It even awakened memories of some amazing confections that I didn't realize I missed until now.

Let's begin my journey down *sweet* memory lane.

Fruit stripe gum. The flavor was so-so-so good (for about 20 minutes), but I remember when I was younger, it was the only gum I'd actually request be purchased (I'm not a big gum chewer).Keeping with the theme, my Grandma would consistently have Adams clove chewing gum in her odds and ends drawer every single time I would visit. I would have never known how much I truly love this gum if she didn't introduce me to it. Now, just the smell of it reminds me of all of the summers at Grandmas. Lovely.
Licorice rope. I don't think I really need to explain, but there are certain brands out there that create strawberry instead of cherry, and it makes all the difference in the world. The Nut Goodie. Whatever sweet, gooey, creamy, caramel-y stuff they add to the interior of this treat is to die for. I wish they made it as a frosting; I'd frost every cake I make with it for the rest of my life. It's that good. Brach's strawberries. Once again, a treat that is really hard to find (except for in 60 pound bags that would take a year to devour). Candy Crate has them in five pound bags, that is more manageable. Might last a week around here.

And we've made it to the end. My all time favorite sweet treat ever. The Twin Bing. Oh heavenly! This baby is the best of the best, and to make it even better, they manufacture this brilliant piece of amazing in my hometown in Iowa. This has the best chewy, cherry interior, covered by the most delectable chocolate, peanut exterior. It might not look/sound amazing, but the combo of the two make it divine.

{photo source}
CandyCrate

No comments:

Post a Comment